“De Stuw” is a Dutch-language publication that was established in Illawarra, Australia in 1952. It was the monthly stenciled organ of the Nederlands Australische Vereniging (Dutch Australian Association) in Illawarra, which was founded that same year to serve the Dutch community in the Illawarra region of New South Wales.
The publication focused on Dutch-Australian cultural and community news, as well as news from the Netherlands and other Dutch-speaking regions. It also featured articles on topics such as history, literature, art, and music.
“De Stuw” was initially produced using a stencil printing method, which was common for small-scale publications at the time. It was distributed to members of the Dutch Australian Association in Illawarra as well as to other Dutch migrants living in the region.
The Dutch Australian Association in Illawarra held regular events and activities for its members, including Dutch language classes, cultural events, and social gatherings. “De Stuw” played an important role in keeping members informed about upcoming events and providing a platform for sharing news and stories within the Dutch Australian community in Illawarra.
Overall, “De Stuw” and the Nederlands Australische Vereniging in Illawarra played an important role in preserving and promoting Dutch culture and heritage in Australia, particularly within the Dutch Australian community in the Illawarra region.